Monday, July 25, 2011

Randoms

*We've moved up from Newborn to Size 1 diapers. I can't believe how fast he's growing!!

*Sunday we left Zach with Chris dad and stepmom for about 2 1/2 hours. I was surprised at how tough it was for me to do that. Chris had wanted to take him earlier in the day so I could get a nap, but I just wasn't ready to leave him that long so I sacrificed a couple hours. Chris keeps reminding me that everyone wants time with him - but I'm selfish and want him all to myself ; )

*I've decided to quit breastfeeding. There are a ton of reasons that I feel like it'll be better for me...and give Zach a happier mom....if I quit. I know it's the best thing for him - and it was a really, really, really hard decision for me to make. It took me nearly 2 weeks to actually quit from when I began thinking about it. I have enough stored that he should be getting breastmilk until he's about 6 weeks old, I figure that is better than nothing. So, now I'm in the drying up process. I did what I thought would be my last feeding around 5:30 Sunday night. By 4 a.m. Monday morning I was BEYOND miserable. I hadn't slept, the pain was so bad I was bawling and I broke down and pumped and fed him around 4:30 and then again at 7....so, now I've started the process over again. I haven't pumped or fed him since this morning and I'm miserable but I have to stick it out, otherwise I'll keep putting myself through this over and over. I spent the day at my moms today so she could help take care of Zach so I could take some Benadryl and sleep off some of the pain. Tonight Chris is taking Zach duty and then I'm going back to my moms tomorrow. I'm hoping that by tomorrow night it's more manageable and I can comfortably pick Zach up again - the stuff I read says it could take 3-5 days to dry up, I'm hoping that the pain gets better as time progresses......

*Less than a week ago I bought a brand new breast pump and several accessories for breastfeeding thinking I was going to try and do it at least 3 months. After many, MANY discussions with Chris we both felt that regardless of the money we spent it still was better for us as a family for me to quit. It might be what some people think is a selfish decision, but I am miserable not being able to get more than 2 hours of consecutive sleep - and there are other reasons - so I'm hoping that I can find someone to sell the items to. Considering the pump was used no more than 10 times I shouldn't have a problem selling it.

*We have been mixing half breastmilk with half formula so that when my stored up breastmilk runs out and we have to give Zach a full bottle of formula he'll have an easier time digesting it. We might even start doing less breastmilk toward the end so it's more of a gradual introduction. So far the 1/2 and 1/2 hasn't bothered him at all. He is really gassy, but he was with just breastmilk too - so I can't blame that on formula. I'm just hoping that when we give him straight formula it doesn't get worse.

*Zach is going to be one month old this coming Friday!! He is getting one month pictures taken Friday evening - I need to figure out what he is wearing! He's at the point where newborn stuff is a little snug but 0-3 months hangs on him, plus I used his only cute newborn stuff for his newborn pictures (we didn't have a lot of newborn clothes, because I was expecting a chunky baby : ) -so I might try and dig through his 0-3 month stuff and find the stuff on the smaller side....

3 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for quitting, it is hard to be the sole food provider for your baby and not be able to get any sleep. He has got the best of it anyway, the colostrum you make at the beginning has all the antibodies and immunities in it. Your boobs should start to stop hurting soon. Mine lasted a couple days. Glad you are both doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I dried up, I kept decreasing the ammount I pumped, that way my body got used to it, and I was never in pain. Hope it works fast for u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up...you know what is best for you, and the entire family. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete